Choosing to Love

6:27 PM ispeakitboldly 0 Comments


\

Recently there have been various issues or events triggering differing thoughts amongst my friends and associates on how to respond. These may be issues from my personal life and network, or stories on the news from around the world. Many of these have resulted in heated debates over meals, online, and in other forums. I have spent a lot of time thinking about these circumstances and how I should react to them. Through books, movies, prayer, and reflection I have come to the conclusion that I will discuss in the next few paragraphs. To begin with I will start with a part of my life that relates to how I reached my conclusion. 
Not very many people know this, but there was a point in my life when, through many poor choices, I pretty much hit rock bottom - think the Prodigal Son. I cannot begin to describe the personal agony I suffered - and in some ways still do - as a result of those choices. It took many years of struggling, failing and picking myself back up again, to get back on track. Through this journey I personally came to know what godly sorrow really meant and how powerful the Atonement of Jesus Christ is if you allow it into your life to act upon your heart.
The reason I share this is because one of the things that really helped me through that time, and make it back, was the love of those around me. I had so much support, so many kind words, from family, friends, and church leaders. There were many reasons for people to be angry at me, to judge me, to make fun of me behind my back, or to demand the strictest punishment against me. Yet no one did, and I still remember how much that meant to me. All of us are children of a loving Heavenly Father and thus we are all brothers and sisters. None of us are perfect - at times all of us will stumble. I truly believe one of the greatest acts we can do in this life is to show charity towards those we may believe do not deserve it.
Most of us are familiar with the story of Jean Valjean in Les Misérables. There is a turning point for Valjean that allows for his transformation from embittered convict to the great man who blesses the lives of so many he encounters. One morning, after stealing from a bishop who had been the only person in the town willing to take him in, Valjean is arrested. The bishop has a choice: he can demand justice and have Valjean sent back to the gallows or show mercy and let him start a new life. He decides to choose mercy. “The Bishop drew near to him, and said in a low voice:— ‘Do not forget, never forget, that you have promised to use this money in becoming an honest man.’ Jean Valjean, who had no recollection of ever having promised anything, remained speechless. The Bishop had emphasized the words when he uttered them. He resumed with solemnity:—‘Jean Valjean, my brother, you no longer belong to evil, but to good. It is your soul that I buy from you; I withdraw it from black thoughts and the spirit of perdition, and I give it to God.’” 
I suppose by showing mercy the bishop could have unleashed a violent criminal on the French countryside. It is possible Valjean would have never repented or changed his ways. However, the only certainty is that if the bishop had demanded justice Valjean would have never changed. The bishop’s decision to choose love is what provided Valjean with a new path. And as Marius points out towards the end of the novel, “the convict was transfigured into Christ”.
One of my favorite set of verses in scripture is how Christ dealt with the adulteress brought to him as a test by those who did not believe he was the Messiah. John 8:7-11 says,  “So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.” 
What does this mean to all of us? We can choose to condemn, to judge, to point fingers, to make snide comments on social media and like them, or in many other ways continuously reminding each other of someone else’s mistake, or….we can choose love. We can choose mercy. We can choose forgiveness. We can choose to move on. We can extend a helping hand, say a kind word, share a smile, and just show love toward those who have made mistakes. Forgiveness is a powerful gift that each one of us has the ability to share every single day. 
There are so many reasons to be angry. So many injustices are committed every day throughout the world. Many of these will be done against us. Yes, those who commit crimes or sins need to be punished appropriately and judged by those with the proper authority. Mercy and forgiveness is not meant to excuse people of their actions. At the same time I believe how we decide to handle these individual cases may be a defining moment in each of our lives. It is up to each of you what you will decide. But as for me, today and going forward, I have decided that I will choose love. 


note: I took this from a post I made in a group I belong to on Facebook. 

0 comments :