Melbourne - The City I Love (Part 2)

5:22 PM ispeakitboldly 0 Comments



Traveling really does force you to live a lot differently from how you do at home. Sleeping on air mattresses at friend’s places and eating cold pizza for breakfast is just an example of this. I decided that I hadn’t had enough torture from yoga the other day so I decided to go again. This time was pretty much the same as the other day, but I think it was a little longer. The instructor has a very thick Spanish accent. On top of me not being able to do many of the poses I could barely understand what she was saying. I kept having to look around to figure out what I was supposed to do next. After that we walked to one of my favorite restaurants in Melbourne - Top Paddock. It’s always busy and very loud inside. They have really good breakfasts though. Especially the pancakes. My friend Cassie is a lot of fun to spend time with and she’s one of the people it’s easy for me to have long, serious conversations with. I needed to pick up some dress clothes for the wedding the next day so we made our way to a shopping center to buy a couple of things. My friend also wanted me to pretend to be a hipster so I tried on some super tight jeans with ripped knees, a fancy button up shirt, and a silly hat. It went very well with my beard. She had work and I had some more school to do. 
I made my way back into the city. I wanted to walk around the area by the Australian Open. It’s a large sports complex right next to the Yarra River. Lots of outdoor tennis courts, a couple of indoor arenas, all right next to the MCG and rugby stadium. Unfortunately I was one week too early to watch the tennis. I was able to catch up with the person I rented from while here last time. She’s a little younger than I am and also a lot of fun to spend time with. We caught up and then she took me to a couple of unique ice cream places around town. It gave me some ideas for opening up my own dessert place back in Utah. 
The last day. I went to do one last yoga session with my friend. This was a really tough class with a lot of balancing acts and some crazy stances. I was doing all I could to not kick someone or fall over on someone else’s mat. At least the woman leading the class was a lot easier to understand. We followed it up with some smoothies and a little more conversation before I said goodbye. I then had lunch with another friend who had helped out when I lived here last time. Him and his wife are such nice people. We talked a little about his son who’s on a mission in England as well as what it’s like being a university professor in Australia. There are definitely some differences between there and the States. And they have some unique issues with some of the students. 
It was finally time for the main event. My friends’ wedding was in the Yarra Valley about an hour away. It’s gorgeous countryside with acres of vineyards. The weather was perfect - sunny and cool. We sat outside and just enjoyed the beauty of Australia while the ceremony was conducted. The couple looked wonderful, the vows were tinder and full of love, and everyone was happy. Weddings are always amazing and when it’s friends it’s just that much more special. We had a nice break before dinner and spent it playing sports: cricket, croquet, footie, and bocce. Dinner was also lovely. Met some new people and heard everyone say nice words about the couple and their families. I was glad to be there for this special occasion and to share in this moment. However, It’s always tough to say goodbye when the time has come and passed. 
I headed straight to the airport (it was around 1 am) and slept in the domestic terminal. I was worried they were going to charge me $100 for my little bag, but I was able to sneak it on with no questions. I arrived in Sydney and went to the international terminal. The line to check in was ridiculously long. You can’t use kiosks there as a non-rev so I sat in line for over an hour to just let them know I was there. I was a little worried about getting a seat, but got some of the best news of the trip when they told me I had a business elite seat (one of the seats that lies down flat…they are amazing especially on these long flights). 
This was an amazing three weeks. I love traveling. I love reconnecting with friends. I love experiencing all that life has to offer. There’s still so much to see. I can’t wait to go exploring again soon. 

0 comments :