On Gratitude

5:43 PM ispeakitboldly 0 Comments


“A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.” ― Seneca

While preparing my dinner on a recent Friday night I was thinking how sad it was that my dinner was a Hungry-Man microwave meal (Selects edition of course because I never go cheap when purchasing frozen meals). On top of that I was eating by myself. I had my phone out ready to take a photo and post it to social media complaining - in a joking way of course - about how terrible my life is. But just before I did a simple impression came to me, “I have food to eat”. I will have dinner tonight. And for too many people that isn’t the case. Too many will have to go hungry tonight. And unfortunately for others, the lack of food may be the least of their worries. 
This impression led to even more thoughts as I ate my meal and pondered on this truth. I took pause and reflected about so much that I take for granted. I have affordable and easily accessible food in great variety within a five minute drive. I have fresh, clean water to drink in my house. I have a roof over my head. I have an amazing family. I have great friends. I have a wonderful dog to come home to every day. And yet with all of this I was choosing to focus on what I didn’t have. 
I - and I would imagine most of us out there - tend to complain more than we should. I know I do this more often than I want to, both in a joking and not so joking way. Too often we wonder why I don’t have this latest gadget or that vacation that we see people on Facebook or in the neighborhood have. None of us have the “perfect” life, whatever that may be. However there is so much we do have. From the big things: we live in the greatest, most innovative time in history; we live in free, prosperous nations; many have spouses and children to brighten up the home with laughter and joy. To the small things: a neighbor dropping off homemade bread; a mountain trail to hike behind the house; and yes…microwave dinners.
This isn’t meant to chastise or make anyone feel bad because they occasionally consider the things that aren’t going the way they want in life. I believe it’s natural to want more. Really, it’s just a reminder that we truly have so much to be thankful for. It’s so easy to forget all the gifts that this life and God have given us. It’s so easy to focus on our imperfect family. Or our job not being the greatest, most exciting thing ever. Or the talents we wish we had (“if only I could sing as well as so and so…”).  
It’s also a reminder - and for me this is what is most important - that, as Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, “we can choose to be grateful, no matter what”. Gratitude is the key to happiness and is available regardless of our situation. Each of us can always carry in our heart the spirit of gratitude and look for the things, big and small, that make this life so great. 

0 comments :